Friday, October 11, 2019

My experience in the Collin Lab by Alexandra De León

Hi! My name is Alexandra De León. I’m an undergraduate in Marine Biology at the International Maritime University of Panama. I am currently working on my thesis in the Collin Lab since April 2019, which is titled: “Variations in the diversity and abundance of holoplanktonic gastropods (Gastropoda: Pteropoda and Littorinimorpha) in relation to environmental parameters during the dry and rainy seasons in the Gulf of Panama”.



Before having the opportunity to work at the Collin Lab, I had the chance to participate in different projects that included coral reefs, mangroves, sea turtles, bony fish and elasmobranchs, but I had never worked with plankton or in a laboratory! So, at first it was quite challenging because there were a lot of new things to learn, but at the same time it was exciting to start studying a whole world of marine microorganisms that most of the time go unnoticed despite their ecological importance in oceanic ecosystems.








The organisms with which I am working on my thesis project, are commonly known as Pteropods or sea butterflies. I prefer to call them holoplanktonic gastropods, since in my project I’m considering two different orders. I'm not going to dig into more taxonomy, since it is a bit complicated and maybe I’ll just save that for another post. So instead, look how beautiful and unique they are!
Right: A Gymnosomata or sea angel, an  example of a pterapod without shell. Left: Atlanta, a sample from the order Littorinimorpha. 
Pictures of two samples from the order Pteropoda. Right: Hyalocylis striata. Left: Cavolinidae.
Since my very first day working at the Collin Lab, everyone has given me their trust and support.  Throughout these months I’ve been able to learn a little bit from all the members of the laboratory, which I consider is one of the most important parts of working in a place like STRI. Having the opportunity to do my thesis at the Collin Lab, has certainly been an enriching experience as a future professional and researcher, and I’ll be forever grateful for it. I still have a couple of months ahead to finish my field data collection and I hope to get my bachelor’s degree next year.



Thanks for reading.
- Alexandra.

No comments:

Post a Comment